Om Ali, Umm Ali or Um Ali is a favourite Middle Eastern pudding. In Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and across the Middle East, Om Ali is probably one of the most popular desserts available. Usually made with layers of filo or puff pastry, both produce excellent results.
Ingredients – Om Ali
- 1 large sheet of puff pastry ( about 90g/3 oz) / (or 5 to 6 sheets of small filo pastry) 120g (4oz) raisins
- 120g (4oz) flaked almonds and pistachios, a few chopped apricots, and dates.
- 1 litre milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 90 gr (3oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preparation – Om Ali
- Preheat oven to 150C degrees
- Lightly butter the puff pastry (optional).
- Place the one large sheet of puff pastry sheet on an oven tray. and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and brown. Remove from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 240C degrees.
- Butter the baking dish.
- Crumple the pastry into a baking dish, scatter the raisins, fruit and nuts in between layers
- In a saucepan on the top of the stove bring the milk , cream and sugar to the boil. Pour this over the pastry. Sprinkle with cinnamon, flaked almonds, and ground pistachios.
- Place dish in oven for 20 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Serve hot.